Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A Visit to the Cemetery

A few weeks ago I took the kids to the cemetery. I like cemeteries. This wasn't just any cemetery, however. This was Hollywood Cemetery - resting place of Jefferson Davis, James Monroe, and John Tyler, among many other Virginians. It was really beautiful and we could have spent a lot more time there. The grounds were huge. The day was perfect and after a snack, we took a look around. I'm sure there was much more to see, but this is what we stumbled across.

First, this is a monument to Confederate soldiers. I guess when they built it, there was no way to get the capstone on (it's pretty tall) so a prisoner offered to put it on and if he did it and survived, he'd get his freedom. So he did it and was released.
 George Pickett.
 Here is President John Tyler. He and Monroe weren't initially buried here. It was some guy's dream to have all the presidents buried in the same place, but he only succeeded with Tyler and Monroe.
 Is it weird to have my kids pose with tombstones? Not sure what the protocol is on that...
 Tyler will have a pretty amazing view of the James River when he wakes up.
 And here's Monroe.

 Jefferson Davis.
 Afton was so funny. She loves princesses, angels, etc so anytime she saw an angel, she wanted to have her picture taken with it. Kind of creepy, but I obliged.
 Even with this rather scary one.

 And I know it sounds weird to have a favorite tombstone, but this would be mine. Isn't that neat looking?
 Here's another cemetery right next door. I thought it was pretty with all the yellow wildflowers (weeds).
 Not sure if a dog is buried here or just a dog lover, but either way, Afton wanted her picture taken with it.
I thought it was a great outing. If any of my readers come to visit, just let me know if you want to go to the cemetery while you're here.

4 comments:

K said...

Cool. Death is the new life.

Julie said...

I had no idea that you liked to visit cemeteries. Haha!

Congrats on your half marathon!!!! I am seriously so proud of you :) That is awesome!

Cassidy said...

My kids are so interested in cemeteries. I've yet to take them, but after reading how well your visit went, I think I'll make an effort to find a nice big one to explore. Good luck with the house offer!

Cassidy said...

My kids are so interested in cemeteries. I've yet to take them, but after reading how well your visit went, I think I'll make an effort to find a nice big one to explore. Good luck with the house offer!