Friday, March 28, 2008

What I would sing

So after watching American Idol on Tuesday (yes, I watch American Idol), I was thinking about what I would sing if I had to pick a song from my birth year. I went online and found the too 100 songs of 1984 and man, let me tell you, 1984 was a rockin' year for music! Some of my favorite groups had big hits that year - The Cars, Huey Lewis & the News, Genesis (Well, I like Phil Collins. You know you do, too!) to name a few.

Anyway, after perusing the list, here are the top 4 that I would sing if given the chance and given the range that these singers have:

4. Let's Hear It for the Boy - Deniece Williams
A total feel-good song.

3. Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar
I really like a lot of Pat Benatar's songs. They just cut to the soul. Major power ballads. I mean, have you seen 13 Going on 30?

2. Jump (For my Love) - the Pointer Sisters

and

1. I'm So Excited - the Pointer Sisters

So after looking at the top 100 list, I realized that I really like a lot of the Pointer Sisters songs, too. Can you blame me?

I also like that song because it's in the National Lampoon's Vacation with Chevy Chase. And you may also remember it from the episode of Saved by the Bell when Jessie Spano has a serious caffeine-pill-induced meltdown before she, Kelly, and Lisa are about to get a record deal.

Way to blow it for the team, Jessie!

So, if you had to sing a song from your birth year, what would you pick?

12 comments:

Amanda said...

That's hilarious. I was a big Pointer Sisters fan too... but I think it was because my Mom did aerobics to their music so we always listened to it. Ben and I always joke about which song we'd sing, and he said he'd have to pay tribute to the #1 song in 1979 (yeah, he was born in the 70's) "My Sherona".

Erin said...

You are so right! I don't know how Lisa and Kelly ever forgave her in the remaining five minutes of that episode.

It's a three-way tie for me: "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart; "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor; or "Ooh Baby Baby" by Linda Ronstadt. Of course, if I had his moves, I would do "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson. And if I was more interested in connecting with the lyrics than getting votes, I would drop "Don't Cry Out Loud" by Melissa Manchester on Simon's ass. (Sorry for swearing on your blog. I just wanted to get into character completely, since I will never actually sing for the judges.)

C&C said...

So many--manic monday, or walk like an egyptian by the bangles, take my breath away, these dreams, money for nothing, how will i know, etc etc etc! not that i could actually sing all of those songs, but i really like all of them!

Unknown said...

It's a little after my birth year, but I'd choose the theme song from Cheers. I'd sing it in my audition, and every week when it's my turn to sing (adapting the song for that week's theme/genre) until the finale where I'd have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir back me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys

Yin said...

I'd sing "The Tide is High" by Blondie because I LOVE BLONDIE and because it was a number one single in 1981. But it was released in 1980, so I don't know if it still counts. If it doesn't, I'd sing "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett (and the Blackhearts).

Yinelli

Sarah H said...

The sad thing is, that I actually remember that episode. Was that the same group that was named "Hot Sundaes?" That was from one of the SBTB episodes. I think I must have spent way too much time watching tv as a kid.

SAM!!! said...

This is fun...

1.The gambler by Kenny Rogers
2. YMCA Village people
3. Re-united (and it feels so good)
4. Devil Went Down to Georgia!

I now feel quite old and I might move Georgia up to #2.

C&C said...

ps, I always hated Jessie and her feminist ways.

Chelsea F. said...

Probably Maniac or Mr.Roboto and do some awkward dancing like Brooke,haha. If I could actually sing, I find a prettty song that really show off my killer range =)

Dan said...

Kim Carnes' Bette Davis Eyes

Jules said...

I TOTALLY remember that Saved By the Bell. I used to say that line, "I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so confused..." Classic. BTW--I love that your dress isn't maternity on your previous post(read on Amanda's). I pride myself on finding clothes I can wear pregnant and skinny.
My song: Dancing Queen, with the theme from Star Wars intertwined.

but there's one called I'm Your Boogie Man that is very tempting.

Sarah A said...

I watched the "Saved by the Bell" clip with Landon sitting next to me and he quoted the whole thing to me before it happened. I'm a little freaked out by it.