Childbirth Class - Part 1
For those of you not interested in hearing about our first childbirth class, sorry. This post is not for you. For the rest, here's how it all went down.
We arrived at the hospital and went up to the room. There were 7 couples there (one left halfway through - perhaps they had the gift of foresight)... The instructor was a nice woman from Slovakia. We began by introducing ourselves and answering the question, "What do you hope to get out of this class?" which I thought was kind of pointless because I'm sure we all just want to know more about the birthing process. I mean, that's what the class is for! It's called "Preparing for Childbirth."
Anyway, so we do that, then she has this huge PowerPoint with all of this interesting and helpful looking information like how to get rid of back pain and good positions for taking stress off of your hips, etc. but then she cruises by all of the promising slides and stops on slides of miniature babies formed out of marzipan (which, until this point, I thought was just the female character in Homestar Runner. I've never had marzipan). Think I'm kidding? Take a look.

Then she keeps halfway telling us about things and then says, "But we'll talk about that later." Did we? No.
Right before our five-minute break, she shows us a video called "Michelle's Story" and promises us that it has a lot of relevance and we'll all be able to fully relate to the story of this woman. Who gives birth in Guatamala. In a hot tub. With her father videotaping. While she and her whole family are naked. And she sucks on the fingers of her newborn right after she pulls her out of the womb. What the heck! And let's not forget when her Dad zooms out of the birth and focuses on a pair of dragonflies mating.
So Dan and I passed a good 10 minutes awkwardly staring at the ground and being thoroughly
weirded out. Goodness!
The second half of class wasn't as bad. We talked about signs that accompany different stages of labor and she had a fake pelvis and baby doll that each of the men had to pass through the birth canal. As if they'll be doing that in real life, too. We ended class by dimming the lights and "relaxing" while she said such things as "Imagine your mind is a lake. Without any ripples. With cool, crystal clear water." At this point, I was thinking, "What kind of ice cream should I have when I get home?" And Dan was thinking, "Is there any way we can get our money back?"
14 comments:
this has been one ofm y favorite posts. congrats. you are getting funnier! keep going to whack things like this so you can amuse me with your stories.
Wow. I'd have to say that's completely different from the class I took! Well, except for the lame breathing exercises at the end when there's zen music playing and I couldn't be serious about breathing in and out. I doubt anyone goes to the hospital with a CD and asks the nurse to pop it in so they can relax and think of the ocean while going through contractions... which by the way I apparently have been having. Soon that'll be you too!
Sounds like you need to work harder on being a lake.
OH my gosh. Hilarious!!! Do you still always keep a carton of moosetracks in the freezer? I hope so.
How did our forebearers ever do it without the help of birthing instructors suffering from the delayed effects of having inhaled too many hallucinogens?
i second what the ever mysterious "maynard" has said--do it straight up african style--standing up, leaning against a tree in a field. just let him fall out. it's not that hard, obviously.
Wow, I hope you never have to do that again! Sounds sketchy.
wow! that sounds TERRIBLE! Was this class through Martha Jefferson or UVA? that sounds not so helpful... and creepy. haha- wow! we did ours through UVA and it was nothing like that. it was really practical and down-to-earth.
I'm sorry!
Now I'm glad we never took that class. I know not all classes are like that, but YOU NEVER KNOW!
By the way, have you picked out a name yet?
"I doubt anyone goes to the hospital with a CD and asks the nurse to pop it in so they can relax and think of the ocean while going through contractions"
This almost perfectly describes what we did, only swap the lake for meadows and other scenes I made up. One was a hot air balloon ride. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
I LOLed about the dragonflies. That's just funny for some reason.
Oh the birthing classes...I think that video is a keeper. And I thought I would have a weird class being it Switzerland! Although we did get the question, "what do you want to get out of this." To which my husband replied angelically, "I want to make my wife as comfortable as possible." Clever, right?
I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to relate to the family from Guatemala...I mean come on, who doesn't have their whole family standing around naked while giving birth?!
J/K of course =)
HAHAAHAHA. That is the weirdest birth class I've ever heard!!! That is why I don't attend them
Post a Comment