Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Just in case you're wondering, Nelson County High School's parent-teacher conferences have been rescheduled from Feb. 11th to Feb. 25th. How would I know this, you ask? Somehow I wound up on their phone tree automated calling list.

It all started about a month ago when my phone rang at 4:45 in the morning. I stumbled up to answer it, thinking that someone had died.

"Hello??"
A robotic woman's voice:"Hello. This is a message informing you that Nelson County Schools will be closed today due to inclement weather. Goodbye."

What the heck??
The next day I got a call telling me that schools were delayed 2 hours. Dan kept telling me to call someone and get off the list but I forgot. Until I got ANOTHER call at 4:45 in the morning letting me know that, once again, schools would be closed due to icy conditions.

Finally I remembered to call them. I wasn't sure exactly who to call, so I called the Superintendent's office. I spoke with the secretary. After explaining that I've been getting calls about their schools... and I live in Texas (she broke out laughing) the lady told me that she'd fix it. I thought she had until that all-too-familiar number showed up on my phone again!!!

How can I make it stop? I'm afraid I'll be getting calls like this every winter until I change numbers.
In other news, today I took my very first trip ever to an IKEA. Holy cow it was huge. I spent 1 hour in there and could have stayed so much longer but Sam let me know that he was ready to go.

Have I mentioned that I hate Houston driving? Today I ran over an entire tire on my way to IKEA going 60 or so MPH. As far as I can tell, the car is okay. But it was kind of scary. I'm pretty sure it went right between the tires because it didn't feel like I ran over it with a tire. I just heard one thump.

Lastly, I've been trying to take a cute picture of Sam for Regis and Kelly's Beautiful Baby Contest but he keeps making funny faces. I think he's teething because he always rubs his toungue on his gums like this:



8 comments:

C&C said...

what's with you guys running over random trash on the freeway? did you tell sam hi for me yesterday? he's so presh. IKEA is legit. and huge. and wonderfully cheap (for some stuff anyway). that whole nelson county situation is like a seinfeld episode. except theirs was with a fax machine.

K said...

Next time you call, tell them to stop being such pansies and canceling every time the temperature drops. Sissy Virginians.

SAM!!! said...

SO... that's a bunch of cute photo's but may I recommend not using the on camera flash. It creates dark back shadows and blow out highlights. Also may I recommend choosing a different backdrop. Perhaps take the child outside, or hang a sheet, or some poster board. Perhaps use a north facing window that you have hung a thin white sheet in front of to give you nice soft side light. You will notice throughout the history of northern hemisphere art that a north facing single window light is a recurring theme... There is a reason for this. (note: girl with the pearl ear ring or many other works by the dutch masters of the time.)

SAM!!! said...

p.s. I am only trying to help. I think it would be rad to see Sam on regis and kelly.

K said...

Sam, I wish you'd critique our photos. We're very open to suggestions. We're hacks and we want them to be better. I will implement these tips immediately.

Katrina said...

Which pic are you using? They're all so cute. I almost entered Juliet...I guess I still have a few hours left to do it. And I'm glad the tire causing any problems, that's scary!

Sarah H said...

I love taking photos. The bottom most photo is my favorite. Fun!

I hate crazy stuff in the middle of the road too.

Julie said...

Funny story! I can't believe you've never been to IKEA before. I could walk around in that store for hours, but Clint usually takes my hand and starts walking faster than I'd like.

I think you should go with the last photo of Sam where he's showing some skin.