Wednesday, July 15, 2009

So, have I mentioned that I auditioned a few weeks ago for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" Well, I did. Needless to say, I didn't make the cut! After standing in line for about an hour, they shuttled 400 of us into a room to take a 10-minute, 30-question scantron test. Of the 400 who took it, they called out about 15-20 people who passed. Ouch. At least I tried!

And I promised a while ago that I would talk about my budgeting thing. Not that anyone other than myself remembers, but that's okay. Dan and I haven't been the greatest at budgeting and after reading some good articles in the Ensign, decided to work harder. We took a look at our expenses from previous months and found that we were spending much more on groceries than we had thought. Our plan, then, was to set a goal to not go over on groceries. On June 1, I walked over to Bank of America and took out the grocery money in cash. For the rest of the month, I only bought groceries using that money. (Or if I accidentally forgot, I would take the appropriate money out so that we were still on track.) It worked! We spent over $100 less than the previous month.

Since I was gone a lot of July, I went to B of A today and only took out half of what we used last month. So far, so good. It feels nice to know we're being more mindful of our finances - especially since we're buying a house in a few weeks. I'd heard of the cash concept before and I'm here to say that it worked for us! I just hope that we keep it up.

And on another unrelated note, I just wanted to mention that Sam can now say two words - dada (Dad) and daga (dog). He says mama a lot now, too, but I'm not quite sure it qualifies yet. He also says dada a lot for other things, but he always says it to Dan so I think it's legit.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Good job on your budgeting! We've been trying to do better with ours, too. Maybe we should try out the cash thing if our current plan doesn't work out.

Your trip back home sounded awesome! When you mentioned home in Earlysville, I totally started laughing because I remember how Katrina would get mad at you for not saying Charlottesville. Ok, so she didn't really get mad, but you know what I mean!

SAM!!! said...

Sam likes dogs?
$100 a month??? that's not much...good work.

SAM!!! said...

Yes that is her dad. Is it weird to think that one day our kids will look back at what we wore and think we were crazy?

Erin said...

I love my cash allowance. I use it for everything. It makes me think about if I reeeally want that $9 sweater or if I could get something else I like for $4. I should try using cash for our food. Clark loves his debit card, but did you know that the bank does not have to replace your money if someone steals your debit card and overdrafts? You have to pay the overdraft balance BEFORE they'll close your account. That's what our FBI brother-in-law said anyway. Aaand, another tidbit I thought I'd share is that I went to a food storage enrichment mtg last night, and it seems that food storage for 2 people for an entire year is only about $450-$500. It made me want to buy all my beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, oats, and wheat from a cannery instead of the grocery store.