A few days before Christmas, my maternal grandmother passed away. She lived in Idaho and I didn't get to see her very often. She's suffered from Alzheimer's and was a widow of 15 years so I'm glad that she is now reunited with my grandpa. I'll remember her as a sweet lady who always made great cookies and fed the crazy wild cats that lived under her porch. Seriously those cats were scary! She also raised some really amazing kids and I'm forever grateful for how that has impacted my life. The day after Christmas, Sam and I flew to SLC and drove up to Driggs, Idaho, with my parents, Ryan, and Candice.
The day of the viewing, we took a drive up to Grand Targhee Ski Resort and got some gorgeous pictures of the Tetons.
The funeral was really beautiful. I had to sit in the foyer with Sam because he was being a rascal, but I got to hear it all. I was so touched by the stories that my mom and her siblings told of my grandma.
View from the cemetery.
After the graveside service, we had a luncheon at the church.
I didn't get to take many pictures at the cemetery or at the luncheon because Sam was a HANDFUL, but hopefully I'll get more from my parents. (Hint, hint.)
The house where my mom was raised.
The Phillps 66 down the street where we'd go get candy and think it was the coolest thing ever. We were obssessed with warheads.
On the way out of town, I had to snap pics of the town signs. Can you believe how small their town is? Population 247!
Candice not making eye contact as she ran back to the car from her millionth bathroom trip on the drive back to Salt Lake. She has a bladder the size of a dime.
I'm really glad I made the trip, even though it was hard to have Sam with me. It was nice to learn more about my grandma and see so much family whom I don't see often enough!
10 comments:
wow. that first picture of me is really something else. fyi--i did not stop ONCE the whole miserable 2 1/2 hour drive from bountiful to provo. not because i didn't have to, but because the weather was too scary.
5x between idaho falls and the utah border.
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing but I'm glad your Grandma doesn't have to suffer anymore. Love to you and your family.
I know that rest stop. Outside Blackfoot. Nice facility.
I just got all caught up on your blog and it looks like you guys are doing great! You look fabulous and happy and Sam looks all grown up! I love your house! So pretty!
We are in Ogden, so if you are in our neck of the woods again give us a holler...maybe next time you come our theater will be all ready and we can pig out on popcorn:)
I'm so glad you got to go to your Grandma's funeral. It sounds like she was a wonderful person!
It looks like you had a nice Christmas even though it was just the 3 of you. That's how my Christmas was last year with Caden just 1 week old! I got a sewing machine, too. We'll have to swap sewing project ideas. My first project is a "Happy Birthday" sign that's really cute.
Kristen,
Those are some great pictures of the Tetons and Tetonia. It's true, we really are all hicks:). It was so great to see you guys and get to visit a little bit. I still think Sam is so stinkin' cute even though you say he's a handful. Lots of love and hope to see you sooner rather than later.
I want to go to there... again.
I saw a diners drive in's and dive that had Houston spots on it. you should go to there.
http://www.flavortownusa.com/
I'm glad it was such a good service (even if you had to experience it from the hallway!). I'm sure you'll miss your grandmother. Next time you see her think of how healthy and happy she'll be! My sister is famous for stopping at rest stops on road trips too...she's not allowed to drink water starting like 12 hours before we leave:)
Post a Comment