Earlier this year, Dan's family tried to coordinate a family reunion. Unfortunately, it was planned during the week Dan had to take the bar. So we had to bail. Other people had to bail, too, so the reunion was canceled. We still wanted to go, so we picked a different week later in the summer and fortunately, most other families could come, too. It wasn't an official reunion, but still great to see most of the Dursts.
We drove up to Baltimore the night before our flight and flew out on a Wednesday. We stayed with Dan's parents and the kids loved seeing the dogs, chickens, sheep, and cats.
(That's Texana below.)
They also loved playing with the toys that Grandma Durst has kept for such occasions. Most of all, they loved playing with and watching their cousins. Sam played with Texana quite a bit, but most of the older cousins have different interests from Sam.
We happened to go to Kennewick at the same time as their annual fair. Two of our nephews are in 4-H and had sheep at the fair, too. We learned a lot about sheep that we may or may not have wanted to know. For example, did you know that a sheep with a short tail is more likely to expel her uterus during labor? I found that out while eating a plate of spaghetti.
Carnival rides are a major rip but we let the kids ride a few.They liked them most of them, but on the strawberry ride (which spins a lot), Afton got thrown from her seat and you couldn't see her. You could just hear her crying as she twirled around and around. The carny man stopped the ride and let her off. I didn't get her tickets back.
Afton liked petting all the animals.
Fair overload?
We had lots of family meals.
Friday I got together with my roomie, Betsy, for a fun lunch. It was so great to see her!!
Later that day I watched the kids while Dan, Heather, Matt, and their parents went to the temple to do work for their mom's ancestors.
We swam some. Sam loved this inner tube thing that went around his stomach. He just floated around splashing everyone in his path until they told him in a quite irritated way to cut it out. He seriously loves to splash. It drives me nuts when he's doing it to me, but pretty funny to watch him splash other people.
G&G Durst bought a giant hamster ball for the kids to roll around in, too.
The kids were always pretty exhausted by nap time.
Here's a rare picture of Afton and Lucy together. I think they kind of look alike.
Saturday was Afton's birthday.
As she's gotten older, she's noticed the need to keep her body limber.
Dan went out shooting with his dad and Matt while I stayed home and got the cupcakes done. Afton helped clean the beaters.
She refused to blow out her candle so Dan and Sam helped her out. She can be quite the diva.
Matt and Amy got Afton some jazzy Minnie Mouse light-up high heels and two My Little Ponies. She loves them.
That night people were out at the pool again and there was a beautiful sunset.
Sunday I did a mini-photoshoot with Afton for her birthday. I'll post more of these pictures later but here's one.
That night we all went to Matt and Amy's for dinner, dessert, and games. We had so much fun!
Fair overload?
We had lots of family meals.
Friday I got together with my roomie, Betsy, for a fun lunch. It was so great to see her!!
Later that day I watched the kids while Dan, Heather, Matt, and their parents went to the temple to do work for their mom's ancestors.
We swam some. Sam loved this inner tube thing that went around his stomach. He just floated around splashing everyone in his path until they told him in a quite irritated way to cut it out. He seriously loves to splash. It drives me nuts when he's doing it to me, but pretty funny to watch him splash other people.
G&G Durst bought a giant hamster ball for the kids to roll around in, too.
The kids were always pretty exhausted by nap time.
Here's a rare picture of Afton and Lucy together. I think they kind of look alike.
Saturday was Afton's birthday.
As she's gotten older, she's noticed the need to keep her body limber.
Dan went out shooting with his dad and Matt while I stayed home and got the cupcakes done. Afton helped clean the beaters.
She refused to blow out her candle so Dan and Sam helped her out. She can be quite the diva.
Matt and Amy got Afton some jazzy Minnie Mouse light-up high heels and two My Little Ponies. She loves them.
That night people were out at the pool again and there was a beautiful sunset.
Sunday I did a mini-photoshoot with Afton for her birthday. I'll post more of these pictures later but here's one.
That night we all went to Matt and Amy's for dinner, dessert, and games. We had so much fun!
3 comments:
Looks like you had a great time with all of your family and cousins. These occasions are so meaningful and memorable.
Looks like a lot of fun. Got to love local fairs...fried snickers anyone? The old-school pool slide is awesome!
-Teresa
Fun times. Happy birthday, Afton! Her hair is sooooo long!
Post a Comment