Some of you may remember that Dan built this coffee table a while ago - probably 2 years ago? I can't remember when. Anyway, he kept it unfinished for a long time. Recently he came across an interesting way to stain furniture and he wanted to try it. First you rub it all down with some tea so that it soaks in. It's supposed to bring out the grain more or something. Then you make a concoction of cider vinegar and steel wool and let that sit for a few days. For Dan it was more like a month. Anyway, you use that as the stain. Then clear coat it. He gave it a rustic look and I think it looks great!
Next we painted the "study." Dan likes to call it the study even though there aren't any books in there. It was hard to pick paint colors because the first floor is really open and we want the rooms to gel. We decided on "smoky slate" by Olympic and had it color matched to Behr because we like Behr paint more.
In the future this room needs curtains, a new rug, and something tall in the corner to add more height - it's a tall room.
We also painted the dining room. This color was called "rainwashed" by Sherwin-Williams which we also had color matched to Behr.
I couldn't quite get the camera to give an accurate picture, but it's a pretty blue. Any ideas on what should go on that empty wall? In the future we're looking to replace the chandelier, reupholster the chairs, maybe paint the recessed ceiling a nice darker shade, and move the desk out of there. As well as put up some curtains. I've been on the hunt for fabric that we like for both rooms but so far I'm coming up short. Those are the project updates for now!
Friday, February 07, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I love those paint colors! Both rooms look really nice and clean. Don't paint the dining room ceiling a darker color! It will make the room seem smaller! A big ol' piece of art or set of 3 for that big blank wall? or you could put a buffet and put some stuff on top of it? Your coffee table looks awesome, too! does it smell like vinegar?
I love the paint colors, too. You have beautiful trim. It really made a difference to have it painted. Candice's ideas are good for the DR wall. You home looks great.
love it all. the table is fantastic.
LOVE the colors your chose. They look so good. And the coffee table looks awesome. Good job guys.
House looks good. Ya'll roll regal.
The fact that you have a strong paint brand preference means you're more into home improvement than I am.
I'm going to join those saying your color picks are fantastic. They are fresh and clean looking.
Good choice on the Behr paint. It's always top rated by Consumer Reports and affordable compared to others. Recently I used some Sherwin Williams paint that cost over $60 a gallon and it was HORRIBLE.
Love the paint, love the table, love it all. You have great taste! And your kids are still super cute (previous post that had all their pics). And I wish it was springtime, too.
Post a Comment