The next day was Thursday and since the big kids had school, and Dan didn't have the day off, I took the Dursts to one of their favorite places in Richmond - the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Whenever I go, I always get lost and then spend 90% of my time trying to find the people I came with... So Eli and I ended up alone wandering around a lot.
Dan took Friday off and they went and did something fun that I can't remember.
Saturday was Sam's baptism day! It was Memorial Day weekend and a lot of our friends were out of town, but it was so nice to have both sets of grandparents here, as well as a few families from church.
G&G Cheney said the prayers, Sam's piano teacher played the music, Grandma Durst lead the music, Grandpa Durst gave the talk on baptism and Dan gave the talk on the Holy Ghost. Bishop Anderson presided. I thought it was such a beautiful and special baptism service. Sam is such a special person and I'm so proud of him and his example. Grandpa Durst read a poem as his talk and Dan shared some things he'd been thinking about. I wish I could remember them because I loved what he said. Maybe he remembers and he can remind me.
After the baptism, we had a few refreshments at the church and then the family headed back home for lunch. G&G Cheney stayed for a while afterwards and then headed back to Earlysville.
Sunday was a busy one for us - I was in charge of a primary teacher training and Dan had to teach sharing time to the primary kids.
Monday we decided to take the Dursts to the Capitol building for a tour. It was pretty cool. And free. And it was rainy outside so it was a perfect outing.
I think they said this is one of only two statues of George Washington that were completed while he was still alive.
While they were renovating in the 60s, they found an old elevator shaft.
This is City Hall across the street.
Later that night we went to Texas Roadhouse for $1 kids' night.
The food was mediocre for pretty much everyone and the music is too loud! But they also do free face painting. Afton requested a butterfly (based on a picture in a book they had there) and it looked nothing like the picture, but that's okay.
Before the Dursts left, the kids took selfies with them.
It was a really great weekend and visit!
1 comment:
Sam's baptism was very special. He's such a wonderful boy. What a fun birthday party. You are a busy family.
Post a Comment