In Richmond, school doesn't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day. So, we decided to head up to Philadelphia to see the new LDS temple during its open house. We drove up on a Friday night and got into the hotel super late. And then I remembered that our room only had one bed and I was supposed to bring sleeping bags for Sam and Afton. Oops. Fortunately, the staff was super nice and brought us some extra blankets (and a crib for Eli). I'm glad kids don't mind sleeping on floors.
Saturday morning we drove the last few miles to the city and took a tour of the temple. It was so beautiful inside and had lots of neat Philly touches like a mural of the founding fathers and a mural in the baptismal area of the Susquehanna River.
After our tour, we changed clothes and headed out to explore the city a bit. This is at the second bank in America's history.
Independence Hall. A big "thank you" to the kind mother who saw Dan taking our picture and insisted that we all be in it together. I like it when people do that.
This was about as close as we got to the Liberty Bell. The line was crazy long to go inside and see it close up.
Benjamin Franklin's grave.
Dan got an inside scoop from a colleague and Philadelphia native that Jim's is the place to go for a true Philly cheesesteak. If that's true, it is unfortunate. Mine was pretty disappointing. But Dan liked his. The stroller wouldn't fit in the restaurant so the kids and I stayed outside and I tried to divert their attention from questionable stores lining whatever street this was that we were on.
South Street maybe?
Anyway, after all that walking around and lunch, Dan and the kids (I was on a no-sugar thing) grabbed a DQ and then we drove back home. A quick trip, a beautiful temple! School started three days later.
Wednesday, November 02, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice photos in front of the temple. It is beautiful, isn't it? When we saw the Liberty Bell back in the day it was outside, wasn't it? Glad your children got to experience some of Philadelphia. What cute grandchildren I have!
Post a Comment