Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Love these two:
My parents came into town on Thursday night. They drove all the way from Virginia! We bought my parents' minivan and instead of us paying someone else to have it shipped, they decided to drive it down themselves so that they could see us. We had a really fun visit. Friday I showed my parents the lot for our future house and a model of what our home will look like. We went to a park close to our apartment and that night we met my aunt and uncle, who live in a Houston suburb, for dinner at a local BBQ joint - Goode Company. Next door to Goode Company is a restaurant with a giant armadillo with flaming eyes. I got a picture but with my mom's camera so hopefully I can get that later. That day Sam napped a total of 20 minutes. It was killer.

Saturday we went to the San Jacinto monument outside of Houston. It's where the Texans defeated Santa Anna back in 1836. Don't mess with Texas. It is also the tallest monument column in the country. It was a chilly and super windy day. We also went to the USS Texas which was nearby. For lunch we stopped by another Texas hotspot - Beck's Prime - for burgers and shakes. If you ask any Houstonian where to get a good chocolate shake, they will undoubtedly say Beck's Prime. I beg to differ. On a 10-point scale, I'd give it a 7. My mom gave it a 5. Ouch. But it was still pretty good. (Sidenote about shakes - Before we left I googled "milkshakes houston" and a place came up called Sparkles that had really good reviews. We GPS'd it after seeing the monument but it turned out to be a random rundown shack painted electric blue. I was up for the adventure, but everyone else refused to stop. I'll have to take Sam there someday when it's just the two of us.)

Sunday my dad had to fly home, unfortunately. It was so great to have him here! After he left we went to our aforementioned relatives' house for some delicious food and good company. My aunt is a really good cook. I could have rolled out of there I was so full. Later Dan, my mom and I played some Skip-bo and hung out.

Monday my mom and I went shopping and yesterday we went to the Houston Heritage Society and toured some old Houston houses. It was actually pretty cool and I think my mom now has a major crush on our tourguide, Grover. After the tour it was "Grover this" and "Grover that..." Just kidding. Don't worry, Dad!

Last night, Mom babysat so that Dan and I could go to the movies. We hadn't gone to the movies since July and hadn't been on a date since September! It was so fun. We went to see Taken. It was so intense. We were on edge the WHOLE time. I've just got to say that Liam Neeson is one bad dude! Today I had to say goodbye to my mom. I loved having her here. I feel like when my parents come that I'm actually the one on vacation because they do so much for us. Love you guys! Sam has been distraught since you left. He cried the whole way home from the airport.

8 comments:

SAM!!! said...

That looks like a lot of fun and I suppose I'd better not mess with texas.

C&C said...

mom and dad are presh. i'm jealous that you got to see them. sam looks pretty testy in a lot of those pictures. apparently dan and dad are bff's (love those pictures of them)

Gretchen said...

Dude, the shack probably rocks. Junky looking places often outperform shiney new ones.

Gretchen said...

Kirk^

Julie said...

Sounds like a fun time! I can't believe your parents drove all the way out there. I also can't believe you hadn't been on a date since September! I guess that's what having a kid will do.

You're not turning into one of those Texas pride people, are you?

Amy said...

I love it when family visits. I always have so much fun talking, laughing, eating, and playing games. Sounds like you guys do the same thing! When do we get to look forward to a visit from you guys? Sometime soon I hope!

Arielle said...

No wonder I haven't seen your mom at church! I keep bringing her something from Aunt Corrine and she's never there. It's goodies from Hawaii and I keep having to hide them from my husband!

Katrina said...

How fun! I'm sorry they had to leave, it's always a bummer adjusting back to normal life. I have an idea...you should come visit them! That's cool that you have a minivan now too. And I remember the previews for that movie looking intense, you're so brave Kristen!

And about what Julie said...you're not, are you? Should I send you pictures of VA to remind you where your true loyalties lie?