I had a lot I wanted to say last week. Then our internet got cut accidentally by our sweet 82-year-old neighbor while he was helping Dan plant one of eight trees that we got on major clearance. So I forgot most of what I wanted to share last week. As you can see, our internet was fixed (4 days later).
Here's what we've been up to around the Durst house:
The knobs in the two upstairs bathrooms are brass.
As you know, we're midway through the switch to oil-rubbed bronze. I decided that a quick fix was in order. I took off all the knobs and inserted them into a cardboard box for easy spray painting.
After a few coats and drying time, I put them back on. I think they look much better. A small thing, but easy, too. I didn't do all the prep I should have, so they chip easily, but we'll probably change them completely at some point.
As I mentioned above, we got eight more trees each for $12 or less (many of them only $5) at Lowe's and Home Depot. We bought a cherry tree (no fruit, just flowering), two peach trees, two maples, one pin oak and one redbud. The deer have found our trees and eaten most of the leaves/branches so they aren't doing too hot. Stinking deer.
We also planted some pumpkin seeds.
Afton and I were kind of matching last week for church.
Like Sam's topless photobomb? His molluscum is looking way better these days.
We started our second annual thankful tree. I'll take another picture of it at the end of the month. Each of us writes something we're thankful for every night at dinner.
Afton's typical response to "What are you thankful for?" is "Rainbows." We've tried to get her to branch out so now she picks a different animal every night. Today it was "Zebras." Sam does a great job of finding things he's grateful for. Tonight he wrote "My body."
I bought a smart phone. Can you believe it? Me neither. I'm trying not to let it take over my life.
Yesterday Dan ran a half marathon. Poor guy came down with a cold the day before, but he still did awesome. I was hoping to meet him at a certain spot (mile 11) but due to road closures, we picked a different spot. We waited for a while so I was afraid that we had missed him. Here are the kids with their sign. "Go Dad Go."
It was raining.
After standing there for about 15 minutes, we saw him!
He wears those weird toe shoes when he runs. He did GREAT and finished just under 1:50:00. I was so happy that we hadn't missed him. Turns out his group started a few minutes late.
The kids often spend their time pretending to be different animals. Tonight they're cheetahs.
Dan and I rented a terrible redbox based on viewers ratings (4/5 stars). WHAT? Pacific Rim. Dan has a formal review coming.
Sunday, November 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good job Dan! Charlotte wore that same dress afton is wearing to church today.
Way to go Dan! I thought those toe shoes wouldn't give you enough support when you run, but sounds like he did great. I like the new color of the knobs Kristen. Hopefully the deer will leave your trees alone soon!
-Teresa
Great job on the 1/2 marathon Dan! Wendy wore that same dress to church yesterday, too! Dad and I need to come and see all of the changes/additions you are making to your yard and home.
Post a Comment