My trip to Jack-in-the-Box.Background #1: In my childhood, we NEVER went to Jack-in-the-Box. I think it's because they had some e-coli or salmonella scare or something so my parents just decided that we would never eat there again. When we got to Houston, Dan convinced me to give it a try and I actually liked it. Their chocolate milkshake is off the charts.
Background #2: In our apartment's mailroom, there's a big bin where people can throw any junk mail they don't want. About a month ago, we got a Jack-in-the-Box ad that had a coupon for a FREE smoothie. No catch. Just a free smoothie. So instead of being satisfied with my one coupon, I dug through that junk bin and got 10 more coupons. ROCK ON! People had just thrown them away without reading them. So we've used a few, but they don't expire until January. It's awesome.

Back to the story: So the week after the hurricane, a lot of stores were closed and we didn't have power so I was craving a nice cool beverage. Around 7 in the evening, Dan offered to watch Sam while I went to JITB and got a shake for me and a free smoothie for him. So I went there and there was a sign on the door that said the dining room is closed for the time being and the drive-thru is only open from 10-6. Bumma. No shake for me.
So the next day, I decided to go on a nice long walk with Sam to JITB to get a free smoothie. It's quite a walk - probably .75 miles and that's pushing Sam and dodging all the debris on the sidewalk from Ike. So I huff and puff and finally get there. There were two ladies who drove up at the same time so instead of me just going straight for the drive-thru with my stroller, I pretended to look at the sign on the building first so they knew that the dining room was closed and that I HAD to go through the drive-thru. So I get in line for the drive-thru with a stroller. I'm already looking so cool. Two cars in front of me, three cars behind me. Breathing in toxic fumes. A woman with a stroller.
So finally it's my turn to talk to the dude through the speaker thing but nothing happened b/c the sensor didn't detect me. I think the others were getting impatient. So the ladies, who had gotten back in their car to also go through the drive-thru, drove up a little bit so that the guy knew someone was there. So then I ran up to the speaker, just feet away from these ladies, and told him I just wanted my free smoothie. He says, "Sorry. The smoothie machine isn't working." Man, I looked like a doofus. To make things worse, I had pulled out the coupon and at the same time, dropped the only money I had - a measley quarter - and couldn't find it. So I didn't get a smoothie and I'm out a quarter.
Then I walked home.
4 comments:
What a sad tale. What I wouldn't give for a sourdough Jack right about now... mmmmmmm.
That is sad. It's time to swear off Jack in the box and move onto some other fast food joint.
Glad you have power again.
Haha, that sory made laugh! I too have a JITB free smoothie coupon siting in my wallet- although I hope I don't have the same experience as you when I go to use it =). Glad you have power!
Oh no, how sad! That does make a pretty funny story though, Kristen!
Post a Comment