Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dallas

This past Thursday through Saturday, Dan's firm hosted a "New Lawyer Retreat" in Dallas. Sam and I took the opportunity to tag along and see the area. The drive up was nice. It reminded us of Virginia with all the bushy trees.


Dan's agenda was pretty packed, so Sam and I did our own thing. Thursday we went to the BYU vs TCU game with Rebecca, Sydney, and Talmage. It was great to see them!

I was SOO looking forward to this game. What a disappointment! Every time I go to a BYU game, they lose. I am their curse. I'm like Jessica Simpson distracting Tony Romo at the Cowboys game. Not good.

Funny story: I was hoofing it trying to get to Will Call before the game started so I could pick up my ticket. I had Sam in a front carrier. I noticed a pack of 13- or 14-year-old boys was riding towards me on skateboards. There was one in the front coming right at me who wasn't paying attention. I yelled for him to look out, but he didn't hear me. So when he got close enough and was about to run into Sam, I totally stiff-armed him and he went flying off his board. Booyah. I was like a mama bear protecting her cub. I felt very liberated.


Sam was really hungry so I had to feed him at the game. I hiked all the way to the top of the emptiest bleachers I could find. Then a boy came and sat right across the aisle from me. Awkward! So I hiked even higher.

Afterwards we found Rebecca.It was fun to see all of the cougar fans but let's be honest. What a bummer.

When we got to the hotel, Sam flipped on the old flat screen to unwind and lift his spirits. Saturday I went to the Dallas Aquarium because that's the only place the hotel's driver would take me to. He forgot to mention that it was $20!!!! Sam liked the spotted sting rays. I liked the "Goliath Bird-eating Spider." Seriously, that's what the sign said.
All in all, I thought Dallas was a nice city. The traffic is HORRIBLE, but the suburbs looked great but if I were to live there, I would totally buy some land south of downtown where no one lives and take up a recluse lifestyle.
By the way, did anyone watch the 20/20 special with John Stossel? I love John Stossel. He's the best. If you want to catch some clips from his latest special which includes info about farm subsidies, government beaurocracy, etc. Watch it HERE. The video clips are on the right.

9 comments:

C&C said...

actually, i DID watch a large chunk of that John Stossel thing. What are teh chances (esp because I am SO sick of hearing about the gov, OBAMA, MCCAIN, etc)? We are kindreds. did you really set sam in front of the TV? do that now and your child will have a 2 minute attention span later on...

Katrina said...

I know, the game was so stressful! That's exciting that you could be there with fellow cougar fans though (besides the fact that you lost the game for us...haha)! Sam is so cute, I love it. Well, I think the spider alone was worth the $20. Whoa. I'm glad it didn't mind you taking it's picture.

SAM!!! said...

John stossell is a moron... He only cites the facts that back up his premise and he dismisses other much more solid evidence if it disagrees with him. I know that all the kids I know out here love aquariums, some of them even have annual passes. glad to hear you had a good time in Dallas.

K said...

"He only cites the facts that back up his premise and he dismisses other much more solid evidence if it disagrees with him."
This statement implicates basically every commentator alive. Everyone has a slant.
We literally never got stuck in traffic all summer! It must have been event traffic. Or else summer is slower...

Melissa said...

Good grief, Sam is so darn cute! What a heart breaker! Way to visit the aquarium--that was one of our favorite places.

Amy said...

I love that picture of Dan holding Sam. We can definately tell he is the father of that baby. I saw the 20/20 segment too! Go John Stossel!

Betsy said...

Love the third picture, with Sam and Dan. Way to go Kristen, taking that kid out. I would have loved to see it.

Karie said...

haha. I love your mama bear story. Way to protect your baby! :)

Megan said...

So you're the reason BYU got their butts kicked?! jk
It's fun to see your little boy; he's simply adorable.