Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Tribute

This week, a man named Drew bought our subaru. It was a bittersweet day for me. I was glad to see her go so that our neighbors would stop secretly hating us for having it parked on the street for so long. The mailman also hated it because it blocked our mailbox. He put a note in our box asking us to move it. We moved it forward a few feet, but that's the best we could do. I'll bet he did a major happy dance when he saw it was gone.

I have some great memories of that car, though.

*When Dad brought it home, I thought it was so cool looking.
*When Mom used to drive me and Candice around, Candice would crank up the volume on her favorite songs and I could never hear anything Mom was saying in the front. Mom would make Candice turn it down to "volume 7". That was the rule. Mom had to remind Candice constantly.
*Mom driving me to seminary in the mornings. One morning we saw a UFO. No one believes us to this day. Sure, it just happened to appear right near the airport, but so what?
*Eventually I got to drive it to seminary and school. Driving home from seminary, we ALWAYS ended up behind an electric blue Tracker with a license plate that said CN DBL. One day we followed them to find out where they lived. We wondered if they were twins or what. I think we got scared that they might find out we followed them so we never got to the bottom of that one.
*Thinking that I should win the senior class superlative for "Best set of wheels." They gave it to a girl named Kelly who drove a red SUV. Her license plate said "Smile". Give me a break.
*I had to drive on a date once because my date was using crutches. Right when I went to accelerate onto the freeway, his crutch put the stick in neutral and I was revving it up wondering why it wasn't going. I thought we were going to get hit.
*Dan and I inherited the car when we got married and when we picked it up in Virginia, we drove it back to Utah, and then up to Washington and back to Utah. I love roadtrips w/ Dan. That first roadtrip we heard "This Love" by Maroon 5 a million times. Now whenever we go on a roadtrip, Dan waits anxiously hoping to hear that song.
*Driving to my parents' house every Thursday night during law school.
*Driving Sam out to my parents' house during the days while Dan studied for the bar. Mom and I would scrapbook.
*Getting lost many times in Houston.

I just love that car. I hope her new owner will love her as much as I did.

3 comments:

SAM!!! said...

this is sad. Unless you are your own mailman. then it's super.

K said...

at least you stuck it to the asians and went american.

maynard said...

oh yes, volume 7. most likely blasting nsync of a bsb song that i only caught half of on rick d's weekly top 40.