Thursday, May 05, 2011

Takin' me back

I've had two experiences in the past two days that took me back to memories of fifth grade.

First, yesterday I was at the library and there's a section where you can buy used movies and books that people donated. I was so excited to see this:
"A definite winner." That is true. So I bought it. Best 50 cents I ever spent. That might not be true, but it's the best 50 cents I've ever spent in recent memory. It's a VHS. I told Dan I would like to watch it together Friday night. He told me he's like me to watch it during the day when he's not home. Ouch.

But getting this movie reminded me of what a big deal the mighty ducks were in California. Disneyland was COVERED in MD apparel when we went there on a visit. Does anyone else remember the duck craze?

My second trip down memory lane happened today. I was driving home and I heard "Zombie" by the Cranberries on the radio. As part of our fifth grade graduation ceremony, we had to take a popular song, change the lyrics to make them relevant to our graduation, and perform it for our parents. We had a week to write down our suggestions. I wrote down "Zombie." Can you imagine fifth graders singing about graduation to the tune of "Zombie"? What was I thinking? I also requested "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden. I was apparently very into what my brothers thought was cool.

In the end, we sang "When I Come Around" by Greenday and "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree. Both a little fluffy if you ask me. I think Zombie definitely would have added some much-needed intensity to the ceremony...

**I just looked up the music video to Zombie and it is actually rather creepy/bizarre. So you probably don't want to.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

This post made me crack up. That reminded me how we watched Heavyweights a lot too. And was it you that I watched the Babysitters Club movie with? HA!

Amanda said...

Yes! I remember the Mighty Duck craze very well. There were these duck bill quacking/whistle type things that everyone had.

And how do you watch VHS tapes? Do they even make VHS players anymore?!? You're so old school.

C&C said...

I totes have a VHS play attached to my TV, but no good VHS's to watch. Seriously, Zombie-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh....can you imagine? you were so hardcore in 5th grade...