Sunday, May 24, 2009

I've never been much of a foodie. In the past few years, most of our meals have been things that are prepared quickly (ramen, hot dogs, pasta) and easily. I blame it on the fact that I worked full time and Dan studied full time. Ever since Sam was born, I've gotten more interested in cooking and expanding my culinary horizons.One of my favorite recipe websites is AllRecipes. In case you don't know what it is, people post their own recipes and then others use them and rate them on a 5-star scale and leave comments. (That's probably like a lot of other sites, too. I just like this one a lot.) So when I want to make something, for example, a cheesecake, I'll search "cheesecake" and then sort the list of cheesecake recipes by rating so that I can see the recipe with the overall best rating. That way you don't waste time making stuff that's just ho-hum and most of your food turns out great. Some of our favorite recipes from this site are:

B and L's Strawberry Smoothie (but we use ice cream instead of yogurt)
Chantal's New York Cheesecake
Double Tomato Bruschetta
Pizza with Pepper, Onion, and Feta

And there are so many more that I want to make. Are there any recipe sites that you love? I'd love to hear about them.

In other news, Dan and I rented Last Chance Harvey from Redbox. Yikes. What a bad movie. I was hoping it would be good but you spend 3/4 of the movie wincing at how sad this dude's life is, then he meets this lady and they just talk all day and he follows her around and then they fall in love. Not to mention, the cover says the movie is "Richly funny" but I think we laughed out loud maybe once. Dan's rating: 2 out of 10. My rating: 3 out of 10. I think I'm more lenient when it comes to movies...

Tomorrow is Sam's birthday. I can't believe our baby will be ONE! I made a video of pictures of his first year. I'll have to shrink it down a ton in order to fit it on the blog, so the quality will be really bad. I'll try to get it all figured out and post it if I can. In the meantime, here are some shots of the soon-to-be birthday boy! He wasn't feeling too photogenic that day... And yesterday we chopped his hair off.
And I saw this gem on a walk the other day. Pure Texas.

4 comments:

SAM!!! said...

Happy Birthday to Sam! Can't believe it has been a year already. Give him a big hug from Ryan and I. Miss you guys!

Teresa

C&C said...

I can't believe he's one either! great day! he's a doll. trying to arrange to come home to Va the same time is you but i don't know if that will be possible (at least if Craig is coming). love you!

Katrina said...

I'll have to check out those recipes Kristen. I've also been a big fan of allrecipes. I like this recipe for pulled pork BBQ: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/BBQ-Pork-for-Sandwiches/Detail.aspx

I also like the site tammysrecipes.com. She also has people rank hers, but it's definitely a more limited selection. I LOVE her banana muffin recipe: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/banana_chocolate_chip_muffins

Gretchen said...

All (three) of the recipes I've ever used were from that site. It's a good resource. Happy Bday Sammy!