Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Latest

The other day I went walking with a girl from our ward and a girl who used to be in our ward. They heard that Dan passed the bar and one of them kindly offered to watch Sam while Dan and I went out to dinner to celebrate. Sam has never had a babysitter before other than once when Mom watched him so I could go see Batman. (Thanks, Mom!) Dan had been wanting to get a babysitter for a while so I thought this would be a good opportunity. Friday night we dropped Sam off right around his bed time and headed to the Olive Garden. Dinner was great and our waiter was really nice. Dan and I had a wonderful time! When we went back to pick Sam up almost 2 hours later, it was clear that he had basically been crying the ENTIRE TIME! They promised us that he hadn't been that bad but they started saying things like "Well, he fussed a little so we showed him the fish tank. He liked that a little bit but then got bored [aka screamed] so we did such and such..." I felt really bad. I never thought Sam really cared who he was with let alone cares when Dan and I are gone! He was even doing the pathetic kind of hiccup crying for a while after he had really stopped crying. It was really sad. I guess we should have started getting babysitters earlier. We gave them a gift card as a thank you.

Yesterday we went on a hike in Lake Houston Park. I would call it more of a nature trail. The elevation never really changed. We saw such exotic animals as butterflies, lizards, squirrels, and frogs. Very wild, I must say. There were tons and tons of mosquitos but I am happy to report...

MOSQUITO COUNT:
Kristen - zero
Dan - ten.
I guess my blood is just too sweet for them to handle.

The park had a swing set so Sam gave it a go.



After that, we drove around the suburb of Crosby, Texas to see what it was like. Not good. Unless you're a trucker. They had a lot of trucker auto shops and stuff. Now we can cross that one off the list.

6 comments:

C&C said...

ugh. babysitting children who are constantly crying is stressful. not to make you feel any worse about the situation...mwahaha. are you down to your ideal weight yet? you're lookin good.

Julie said...

That's so sad that Sam was crying the whole time! I'm glad you at least got to enjoy your dinner. How come you didn't take any pictures of the squirrels, mosquitos or frogs?! j/k :)

Also, congrats to Dan on passing the Bar exam! That is huge!

C&C said...

You'd better believe that "wizards of winter" is on the playlist that will shortly be gracing my blog. and craig said he will dance with us to that when Dan does. I think craig is assuming that he will never have to dance to it (because the thinks dan never will), so dan needs to prove him wrong.

SAM!!! said...

That looks like an ok place to take a "hike", and you should move to crosby because that sounds groovy.

K said...

You don't have to give up on sitters, just put him down before you go. The only time we've used a sitter they came over after he was down and that worked pretty well.

Amanda said...

I think/hope that Ethan is completely adjusted to being with strangers or babysitters. He gets babysat while I work 2 times a week for 4 hours, so we've built up his immunity. I experienced a 6 month-old breaking down though when his parents left, and man it isn't fun. I always feel guilty when my friend tells me that Ethan cried for like 45 min straight while she was watching him, but her son does it too when I watch him.